- Sport Business
- Members Log In
Episode 54 of the Leaders Sport Business Podcast sees David Cushnan and James Emmett examine the ATP’s player-driven decision not to extend Chris Kermode’s tenure as Executive Chairman, before a discussion on the new Formula E race in London breaks out into some thoughts and examples of the best and most innovative hospitality experiences in sport.
Later, ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 Managing Director Steve Elworthy (19.50) joins James for a conversation on his preparations for the upcoming tournament. A former international cricketer for South Africa, Elworthy joined sport’s executive ranks not long after hanging up his playing boots. The upcoming competition, which will take place in England and Wales from 30th May to 14th July, is the sixth major cricket tournament Elworthy has been involved in running.
On the conversational agenda:
– How Elworthy went from competing in major tournaments to running them;
– The mistakes he’s made along the way and how they’ve informed his management style;
– Moving his team from planning to delivery mode and how he motivates them to peak when it matters;
– Organisational structure and how to hit deadlines in a coordinated manner;
– Dealing with the conflicting demands of various stakeholder.