“We’ve used tennis as the platform but really this is a book for sports parents, sports coaches. It’s for athletes who really want to understand how they can create a much more successful life as well as be a successful athlete.”
By John Portch
Simon Wheatley recently co-authored with Keith Humphrey a book called The Sweet Spot: Unleashing Potential in Tennis Coaches, Players & Parents.
It is going down a treat in the tennis community and he recently spoke to the Leaders Performance Institute about their reasons for writing what is effectively a coaching manual and the ways in which it could prove to be valuable tool elsewhere in elite sport.
Over the course of the conversation Wheatley discusses:
- The ‘magic of three’ as a development trio of athlete, coach and parents [from 3:00];
- The four main types of learning style and their coaching implications [15:00];
- Single, double and triple-loop learning [20:00];
- Creating contracts of agreement between players, coaches and parents [35:00];
- Push and pull behaviours in coaching [41:00].
Behind the Scenes at Leaders – London, 2019
Listen above and subscribe today on iTunes, Stitcher and Overcast, or your chosen podcast platform.