Meet the power-brokers behind Abu Dhabi’s sports strategy | Andy Murray’s retirement announcement | Champions League weekend rumours | the AFC Cup and Gulf politics in sport.
Episode 49 of the Leaders Sport Business Podcast sees David Cushnan and James Emmett reflect on Andy Murray’s retirement announcement, assess the impact of a potential move by Uefa and TEAM Marketing to shift Champions League matches to weekend slots; gauge the political environment at the AFC Cup in the UAE, and introduce a series of conversations with key figures from across Abu Dhabi’s sporting landscape.
On the agenda:
– What next for Andy Murray, and what next for tennis, after Britain’s greatest ever tennis player announced his retirement;
– Uefa Champions League games on weekends: could it happen, why, when, and how?
– The AFC Cup: a platform for politics beyond football in the Middle East;
– Abu Dhabi Sports Council General Secretary HE Aref Al Awani (14.20) on the city’s sporting strategy;
– Acting Abu Dhabi Cricket CEO Matt Boucher (25.18) on the changing objectives for Abu Dhabi’s involvement in sport;
– Special Olympics World Games 2019 Chief Strategy Officer Tala Al Ramahi (36.56) on building a legacy of inclusion;
– Abu Dhabi Golf Club GM Ed Edwards (42.51) on the development of golf in the region and the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship.
- Episode 48: The great US gambling rush & a crystal ball on 2019
- Episode 47: Pitch International Executive Chairman Oli Slipper
The Leaders Sport Business Summit, Abu Dhabi, takes place on 30th and 31st January. More information on who’s coming, and how you can come too, can be found here.
Leaders Week New York
20 - 23 May 2019