- Sport Business
- Members Log In
Philip Brook (conversation begins at 19.27) is the Chairman of the All England Lawn Tennis Club, host of the annual Wimbledon tennis championships. Brook will leave his position, one of the most influential in world tennis, after nine and half years as chairman after this year’s championships this summer.
In episode 58 of the Leaders Sport Business Podcast, Brook welcomes James Emmett to the boardroom at the AELTC for a discussion on the milestone moments of his tenure, what comes next for him, for the club and the tournament, and the state of world tennis.
On the conversational agenda:
– Why, with the tournament two weeks away, he’s not very busy at all;
– The new roof on number one court – what, why, how, and who it will benefit; and what else is new for this year;
– The 50 other weeks of the Wimbledon year;
– 73 acres of new land – what to do with it, and why the journey to the tennis club is likely to change in the future;
– How the £63.75m Wimbledon Park Golf Club deal was done;
– What he believes his legacy to the club, and to grass court tennis will be;
– The regrets of his tenure, and why he thinks tennis isn’t necessarily better off on a global level than when he started;
– What needs to happen for the major stakeholders in tennis to work together with greater cohesion;
– Hosting the Royal Box; how to keep the great and the good in check.