In Mexico 128 million people are deeply committed to football.
And Alejandro Irarragorri, the man heading things up at Orlegi Sports, which is the umbrella organisation that includes top tier soccer side Santos Laguna, is “obsessed with the process” for driving this forward.
In this edition of 5 Minutes with Leaders, recorded behind the scenes at The Sport Business Summit, London in October 2018, Irarragorri explains:
- How football fits into the overall business model for the group;
- Whether profitability or community should come first for the business;
- The challenges of moving forward for Santos after winning a series of championships – at least once every three years;
- How the club look to differ in a highly competitive league where most teams have similar budgets;
- Plans to continue promoting Mexican football; both inside the country and in the US.
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Nuria Tarre
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Alessandro Antonello
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Steve Tew
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Billy Beane
Irarragorri chairs Orlegi Sports which is divided into two divisions; one accounts for its traditional businesses – agriculture, insurance and real estate; and the other comprises sports and entertainment.
Sitting under Orlegi Sports is Santos Laguna, the current champions of Mexico’s premier football division – Liga MX – as well as La Haiba, a club currently playing in the second division.
Leaders Week New York
20 - 23 May 2019