Peter Hutton is Director of Global Live Sports Partnerships and Programming at Facebook. The former Eurosport CEO joined the social giant in May 2018, and his appointment was a clear statement of Facebook’s intentions in sport.
2.2 billion people use Facebook every month; a billion more on Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger in the same time-frame, and, slowly but surely, Facebook is integrating live sports content to drive further engagement with that audience.
You have to be nimble, says Hutton; “test, learn, look at the data and then move again”. Hutton, a senior sports media executive who has held leadership positions at Eurosport, MP & Silva, Ten Sports, and ESPN Star, states that the main focus and challenge for him is to deliver a product which will add new layers of experience for fans on Facebook. “There’s no good just putting down a whopping big cheque down on the table to secure the rights; you have to look after the brand and give a better experience to the fans,” he says.
In this edition of 5 Minutes with Leaders, recorded behind the scenes at The Sport Business Summit during Leaders Week London in October 2018, Hutton explains:
- Facebook’s renowned culture and the on-boarding process;
- The areas for development, within the budget constraints;
- His thoughts on the sports that are capitalising on Facebook’s viewing experience;
- How sport might be viewable on Facebook in the future.
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Claire Cronin
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Jamie Dinan
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Alex Williamson
- 5 Minutes with Leaders: Billy Beane
Peter Hutton speaking alongside Mike Wragg, Global Head of Research at Nielsen Sports, at The Sport Business Summit during Leaders Week London in October 2018.
Leaders Week New York
20 - 23 May 2019