The NBA is so firmly focused on innovation – in the experiences it offers to fans, in its digital engagement strategies, and in its own business practices – that in November 2017 it appointed someone specifically to oversee it.
By James Emmett
That someone is Amy Brooks, an NBA executive since 2005, and now Chief Innovation Officer and President of the NBA’s Team Marketing and Business Operations unit.
In this episode of the Leaders Podcast, recorded behind the scenes at Leaders Meet: Innovation 2018, Brooks discusses her role and responsibilities and pinpoints some of the most innovative practices being undertaken across the league.
Also on the agenda:
– The advance of technology and league’s open-minded approach;
– Focusing on the core when it comes to new business opportunities, but why that core is not simply sports;
– Why the NBA’s global fanbase requires a tech-first media and communications strategy;
– The jersey patch sponsorship inventory and how it’s being used to further the fan experience;
– The NBA G-League-Twitch deal and what it might mean for the future of basketball broadcasts.
- Engage and Delight: Eight Lessons in Innovation Application from the NBA & Instagram
- Episode 28: HBSE’s Scott O’Neil and Katie O’Reilly
And the conversation continues in January 2019 as we team up with the NBA and SAP for the 5th edition of Leaders Meet: Innovation 2019. The event will see 300 futurologists, strategists and innovation leaders gather in London to explore the technology trends of 2019 – and examine the implications for sport.
Leaders Week New York
20 - 23 May 2019